Here is the Daily G.K. update from the current affairs of 21 May 2020 for your competitive exams and General Awareness. Today’s G.K. Update is covered with Didi Vehicle Service, Mee Annapurna Programme, new president of Indian Steel Association, National Anti Terrorism Day, Latest EPF contribution, NABARD’s new Chairman, etc.
Daily G.K. Update – 21 May 2020
1. Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed as NABARD Chairman
Shaji KV and P V S Suryakumar have been appointed deputy managing directors in the NABARD.
2. Jammu & Kashmir’s Department of Information and Public Relations has launched the programme ‘SUKOON’ to beat COVID-19 stress
- This programme will be telecasted on Doordarshan Kashmir Channel at 9 PM every Tuesday.
- Eminent doctors, psychiatrists, and scientists will be chairing the show to spread awareness about the psychological impact of lockdown and its measures.
3. HRD Minister has released 3 handbooks prepared by tCBSE.
- The names of the 3 handbooks are ‘Cyber safety Handbook’, ‘In Pursuit of Excellence- A Handbook for Principals’, and ‘1st Century Skills: A Handbook’.
4. “Didi Vehicle Service” is started in MP’s Jhabua district
- This service is providing lifeline for pregnant rural women and for other emergency services in tribal areas.
5. Maharashtra launched the “Mee Annapurna Programme”.
- Mee Annapurna programme has been launched for the welfare of farmers by the Integrated Risk Insurance ‘IRIBL’ of Maharashtra.
6. Carmen Reinhart is currently serving on advisory boards of the IMF and the New York Federal Reserve.
She is the author of the book “This Time is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly”.
7. Labour ministry notified EPF contribution to 10% from 12% for three months
- Ministry of Labour & Employment had decided to reduce the Employees’ provident fund (EPF) contributions to 10% from the existing 12% for three months till July 2020 (i.e May, June, July) to retain more money in the hands of the employer and the salaried class.
- However, this will not be applicable to Central and State PSUs (public sector undertakings) or to establishments controlled by Government or State Governments.
8. Dilip Oommen is appointed as the new president of Indian Steel Association
9. Moeketsi Majoro (58) become Lesotho’s new Prime Minister (PM) on 20 May 2020.
10. Franklin Templeton Trustee Services Pvt. Ltd. appointed Kotak Bank as an advisor to assist in monetising assets of 6 Wind-up Schemes
11. World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is celebrated every year on May 21 globally.
12. National Anti Terrorism Day is observed every year on May 21 in order to spread the message of peace, harmony, and brotherhood.
- The National Anti Terrorism Day commemorates the death anniversary of former India’s youngest Prime Minister (PM) Rajiv Gandhi.