Here is the Daily G.K. update from the current affairs of 20 May 2020 for your competitive exams and General Awareness. Today’s G.K. Update is covered with National Test Abhyas App, Alexander Dalrymple Award, World Bee Day, Ruskin Bond’s new book, PMMSY Scheme, Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities, etc.
Daily G.K. Update – 20 May 2020
1. Union HRD Ministry launched a mobile App “National Test Abhyas”
- The App is launched by Union HRD Ministry on 19th May 2020.
- The objective of the “National Test Abhyas” app is to enable candidates to take mock tests for upcoming exams such as JEE (Main), NEET 2020 under the NTA’s purview.
2. Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar wins Alexander Dalrymple Award 2019
- The National Hydrographer to the Government of India, Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar is honored with the 2019 Alexander Dalrymple Award On 18th May 2020.
3. World Bee Day observed globally on 20th May
- The World Bee Day is being celebrated to raise awareness about the importance of pollinators, hummingbirds, butterflies, bats.
- The day is celebrated to commemorate the birthday of Slovenian apiculture pioneer Anton Jansa.
- This year the theme of the World Bee Day is “Save the Bees”.
4. Lata Mangeskar sings “JAYTU BHARATAM” song for Atma Nirbhar Bharat
5. Ruskin Bond’s new book ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’ released in an e-book format on his 86th birthday.
6. Cabinet approves Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) Scheme
- The main objective of the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana scheme is to doubling of fishers, fish farmers, and fish workers’ incomes by 2024.
- The PMMSY Scheme will be implemented during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25.
- The total estimated investment for the PMMSY scheme is Rs. 20,050 crore comprising of the Central government share of Rs. 9,407 crore, State government share of Rs. 4,880 crore, and Beneficiaries’ share of Rs. 5,763 crore.
7. Marathi Writer and Director, Ratnakar Matkari Dies of COVID-19 at 81
- Mr. Ratnakar Matkar was awarded with Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
8. Ministry Of Housing and Urban Affairs (MOHUA) announced the results of the Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities
- Minister of State (Independent/Charge) of Ministry Of Housing and Urban Affairs (MOHUA), Hardeep Singh(S) Puri announced the results of the Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities, for the assessment year 2019-2020 on May 19, 2020.
- 6 Cities including Ambikapur, Rajkot, Surat, Mysuru, Indore, and Navi Mumbai were rated 5 Star.
- 65 Cities rated 3 Star and 70 Cities rated 1 Star out of 141 cities.
9. India Provides 2 million USD to support UN agency working for Palestinian refugees.
- India provides 2 million USD (Rs 15 crore) to support the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) to support the Palestinian refugees On 19th May 2020.
- Commissioner General: Philippe Lazzarini (Under Secretary General of United Nations)
- Members of Advisory Commission: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Headquarters: Amman and Gaza
- Formed in: December 1949